Welcome to the John Peter Smith Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Our Program is committed to educating Emergency Physicians that provide the highest quality care anywhere - period. Our Residents are among the best and brightest young physicians in the USA. They train in a high volume, high acuity state-of-the-art medical complex incorporating a 54 bed Emergency Department (ED) occupying 38,000 square feet that opened to the public in 2008. The John Peter Smith Hospital (JPS) ED is one of eight inaugural members of the American College of Emergency Physicians Clinical Ultrasound Accreditation Program. JPS is a Level 1 Trauma Center, Stroke Center, and Tertiary Care Referral Center serving a population of 2.5 million encompassing Tarrant County and its surrounding 200 mile radius area.
- Established in 1906, JPS has devoted more than 100 years to educating physicians while caring for the residents of Tarrant County as the area’s tax-supported hospital district
- The ED provides care to almost 115,000 patients per year
- Approximately 20% of patients evaluated in the ED are admitted to the hospital
- Our separate on site Urgent Care Center provides care for another 70,000 low acuity patients per year
- Zero ambulance diversion hours since 2008
- Resuscitation rooms equipped with digital radiography and articulating arm mounted ultrasound
- The ED is fully telemetry equipped
- Dual high speed CT scanners in the ED, adjacent to Trauma and Resuscitation Areas
- STAT Lab in ED for point of care testing of time sensitive biomarkers
What happens when you couple a world class Emergency Medicine training environment with a truly great American city? A better residency experience – that’s what. As the 16th largest US city, Fort Worth, Texas offers a vibrant urban lifestyle yet maintains the more intimate feel of a smaller community. Some of the finest cultural attractions in the country are located here. The area is also host to a variety of sports and entertainment venues. You can bet life in Fort Worth is never dull.
For more about Fort Worth click here.