How to protect your smile.
Everyday dental care
Taking care of your teeth at home can help you prevent problems such as tooth decay and gum disease.
Dentists at JPS Health Network have these recommendations to keep your teeth healthy and prevent cavities:
- Use dental floss to clean between teeth each day.
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush in small circles, with gentle pressure.
- Brush teeth twice a day with toothpaste containing fluoride. Use a dose of toothpaste the size of a pea.
- Brush for two minutes each time to remove sugar and food from your teeth. Teach children not to swallow toothpaste; rinse the mouth with water after brushing.
- Change your toothbrush every three months. Pick a brush that feels comfortable in your mouth.
- Avoid eating sweet snacks and drinks. Eat a healthy diet that includes fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Visit your family dentist regularly for a dental exam. Your dentist can check for any problems before they get worse.
Preventing dental injuries
Take precautions to reduce the chance of accidents and injuries that can damage your teeth, lips, cheek and tongue.
- Wear a mouth guard when doing sports or recreational activities.
- Don’t chew ice, popcorn kernels and hard candy. They can crack a tooth.
- Use scissors to cut things or open bottles or packages. Never use your teeth.
- Do not put anything except food or drinks in your mouth, Do not carry objects in your mouth, such as a pen or pencil.
When to call the dentist’s office
Call your dental clinic if you have symptoms of a cavity, which may include mild to moderate pain while eating or drinking. If you have a severe toothache, please go to a JPS Dental Urgent Care clinic.