Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program
John Peter Smith Hospital is pleased to be a part of the Tarrant County Sexual Assault Response Team and has provided care for adolescents and adult sexual assault victims of all races and populations since the early 1990’s. The SANE Team provides this service for more than 50 police jurisdictions in seven North Texas counties including Tarrant, Wise, Parker Johnson, Hood, Erath and Somervell.
The SANE Program is staffed by registered nurses who have advanced education and instruction in medical forensic examination and in psychological and emotional trauma. SANE nurses may also provide expert testimony in a court of law.
Our staff realizes this is a frightening, traumatic time for victims. Our SANE nurses are dedicated to providing comprehensive, compassionate care in a safe and private environment.
Our SANE philosophy of nursing encourages patients to be involved in their plan of care, including:
- Emotional support
- Physical examination and wellness check
- Collection of medical-forensic evidence
- Assistance with reporting the crime to police, when requested (mandatory reporting for children under 17)
- Assistance with concerns about sexually transmitted infection and pregnancy and post assault medication administration
- Assistance with safety planning
- Development of a medical follow-up plan
Our SANE’s are also available to speak to groups and organizations about sexual assault. For more information email Connie Housley RN, BSN, CA-SANE at firstname.lastname@example.org