Making Lives Better

November 6th, 2017

Nov. 1, 2017 — More than 700 people attended JPS Foundation’s second annual You Make Lives Better Breakfast on Wednesday, gathering in a 13,000-square-foot tent to share stories exemplifying the pivotal role JPS Health Network will play in Tarrant County’s future.

CEO Robert Earley

JPS President and CEO Robert Earley welcomes 715 guests and team members at the You Make Lives Better Breakfast.

“JPS is your community healthcare system,” Westlake Mayor Laura Wheat, chairman of the JPS Foundation Board of Directors, said in welcoming community leaders, business executives and elected officials joining physicians and JPS staff under the special-event tent north of the Patient Care Pavilion.

In a moving video presentation created for the occasion, County Administrator G. K. Maenius says JPS will play a significant role in determining quality of life in Tarrant County as the population grows by a projected one million new residents over the next 20 years.

“Healthcare is going to be extremely important because not only are we going to grow in terms of population, but the makeup of that population is going to change dramatically,” Maenius says.

JPS President and CEO Robert Earley told the crowd, “It is critically important for Tarrant County that JPS is successful.”

The family of trauma patient Courtney Utter reconstructed the Christmas day that Utter took a young niece on an ill-fated ATV excursion. The ATV overturned, pinning Utter to the ground and crushing her left arm. First responders transported her to the Level I Trauma Center at JPS.

Utter’s arm would eventually require amputation, but she credits the care she received at JPS for saving her life and says, “Everybody was so good to me and my family.”

Courtney Utter

Courtney Utter

Utter made a surprise appearance at Wednesday’s breakfast, bringing guests to their feet for a standing ovation. “I wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t gone to JPS,” she declared. “You may ask yourself, ‘Why JPS?’ I am standing here today because of JPS.”

JPS Foundation serves as a bridge to connect community leaders and benefactors with the network to improve the health of communities throughout Tarrant County. JPS receives about 40 percent of its annual budget from property tax revenue. The Foundation secures philanthropic gifts, goods and grants that make up a portion of the remaining 60 percent, much of which comes from state and federal government sources such as Medicare and Medicaid.


Share this article!