The JPS Center for Epidemiology & Healthcare Delivery Research (CEHDR) was established in December 2016 to understand the healthcare needs of underserved or vulnerable populations and identify approaches that optimize clinical effectiveness and reduce disparities for these populations. Our investigators use population sciences such as epidemiology, health services research, and biostatistics to address this goal. Our research focuses on the care continuum within three program areas:
- Hepatitis C
- JPS Oncology & Infusion Center
- JPS Healing Wings HIV/AIDS Center
- JPS Gastroenterology and Hepatology Clinic
Affordable Care Act and Cancer Stage at Diagnosis
in an Underserved Population
Yan Lu, MD, MPH; Bradford E Jackson, PhD, MPH; Aaron W Gehr, MPH; Deanna Cross, PhD;
Latha Neerukonda, MD; Bhavna Tanna, MD; Bassam Ghabach, MD; Rohit P Ojha, DrPH
- Why was this study conducted?
- The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was intended to reduce the number of uninsured individuals, particularly among underserved populations (i.e. people with socioeconomic barriers to care), but some states such as Texas did not expand Medicaid coverage as part of ACA.
- We wanted to understand the effect of ACA on cancer stage at diagnosis among 1) underserved cancer patients in a safety-net health system, 2) cancer patients in Tarrant County, 3) cancer patients in Texas overall.
- What did this study find?
- After ACA was implemented, we observed a small decrease in the proportion of uninsured cancer patients in a safety-net health system, Tarrant County, and Texas overall.
- We did not observe earlier cancer stage at diagnosis in any of these populations (figure below).
- What do the findings mean?
- Studies in states where Medicaid coverage was expanded are reporting earlier cancer diagnosis.
- Medicaid expansion might be one option to help earlier cancer detection in Texas, especially for underserved individuals.
- Read more here.
|Rohit P. Ojha, DrPH||Director||Cancer|
|Afiba Manza-A. Agovi, PhD||Assistant Member||HIV|
|Mirsada Serdarevic, PhD||Assistant Member||Hepatitis C/Substance Abuse|
|Ifedi Anikpo, MD, MPH||Epidemiologist||HIV|
|Tzu-Chun Chu, MPH||Data Analyst||Hepatitis C|
|Kevin Craten, MHA||Program Coordinator|
|Matthew Cvitanovich, MPH||Data Analyst||HIV|
|Aaron Gehr, MPH||Epidemiologist||Cancer|
|Yan Lu, MD, MPH||Data Analyst||Cancer|
|Brooke R. MacDonald, MSPH||Epidemiologist||Hepatitis C|
|Name||Primary Affiliation||Research Area|
|Esther Fasanmi, PharmD||JPS Pharmacy Clinical Services Outpatient||Hepatitis C, HIV|
|Bassam Ghabach, MD||JPS Oncology & Infusion Center||Cancer|
|Mandeep Matta, MD||JPS Healing Wings Clinic||HIV|
|Kalyani Narra, MD||JPS Oncology & Infusion Center||Cancer|
|Rachel Stewart, DNP, MSN||Acclaim Gastroenterology||Hepatitis C|
|Esther Annan, MD, MPH||Predoctoral Fellow||Hepatitis C|
|Jonathan Moore, MPH||Predoctoral Fellow||Hepatitis C|
|Nasrin Sultana, MD||Research Intern||HIV|